Search This Blog

Friday, September 20, 2013

More Test Drives of the Subaru Product Line



Today I tested more cars offered by Subaru. I went back to Hodges Subaru in Ferndale, MI and was dealing with Danielle again (if you’re looking to buy a Subaru and live in the Detroit area, deal with her, she’s wonderful!). Today I was testing and measuring cars for my parents who are finally looking to replace Harmony (2000 Subaru Outback) or Cloud (1999 Subaru Forester).

A few notes on the Subaru product line before I review the cars. Subaru needs to offer a wagon version of the Legacy that is less bulky looking than the new Outback’s (this is available in Japan and should be here too). Subaru manual transmission vehicles still suffer from very soft clutch pedals, a bit more resistant would just let you know you’re pressing it better. Also, Subaru offers a lot of great diesel versions of their vehicles in other countries that are quite fuel efficient, these should be offered to the USA as well.

On to the cars I drove today:

2014 Outback 2.5 L 6-speed manual

The first thing to note is that it does not feel as big as it looks when you drive it.
Second thing of note is it is a very comfortable cruiser and has been refined significantly since the 2000 one my family has. There is a lot less road noise.
The new adjustable seats (standard on the Outback, Legacy, Forester, and Tribeca [I’m not sure about the WRX and STi]) are quite comfortable. I like to put them low as possible, raise the front under the knees a little bit, and adjust it so grips your back relatively nicely (not quite a proper bucket seat but close enough that I would not complain).
The ride height and seating position is fairly high. I’d say it’s similar to our 1999 Forester.
The dash is kind of huge and domineering. I’m not a fan, others might not mind this.

Regarding the engine and transmission:
1st gear is kind of blah. Gears 2 – 6 work well.
Any highway passing should be done in gears 3 or 4. Gears 5 and 6 are really cruising gears and that’s it.
There is not much engine braking when you down shift.
The six speed will offer better short shifting options and more fuel efficiency than the older versions.

General Conclusion:
Good A to B if you need the room and space.
I worry about parking it.



2014 Forester 2.5 L 6-speed manual

Ride height and seating position are very high, uncomfortably so for me.
The ride height and seating position actually helped with the dash being less of an issue and increased visibility.
Same seats as the Outback and wonderful.
It did not have a lot of body roll, much less than Cloud (1999 Subaru Forester) which I affectionately nicknamed “Trundles” due to its body roll.
The new Forester felt a lot less planted and confident in corners than any other Subaru I have driven so far. On Cloud I have four wheel drifted it and thrown it into just about any corner and it has been confident and willing. On the new Forester I took an off ramp from I-696 to I-75 at 55 mph in 6th gear. The car felt like I was approaching a limit and did not feel comfortable there.

Regarding the engine and transmission:
1st gear felt a bit better here.
In general it felt a bit more enthusiastic than the Outback.
This transmission was the worst on downshifting for engine braking, it is basically non-existent.

General Conclusion:
This feels more like the Toyota RAV4 my housemate had in college. It is not as nimble or as quick as its first or second generation Forester predecessors.
I found it disappointing compared to other generations of this vehicle.
The XT version with the new 2.0 L turbo engine needs to be mated to the 6-speed manual, not just a CVT, and it needs a reworked suspension.



2014 XV Crosstrek 2.0 L CVT Lineartronic (6-speeds selectable in manual mode)

In terms of feel and size I feel like this is much more the successor to the old Foresters than the new Forester is.
Seating position is about where our old Outback or Forester is.
This actually offers slightly less internal volume than a new Impreza.
It does offer more ground clearance, taller ride height, and a more SUV like seating position.
This was much more confident and planted than the Forester, I actually took it for a drive (even though it was an automatic) because I wanted to know how it felt on the same corner the Forester was so questionable on. It passed with flying colors. It does not feel as planted as the Impreza, but body roll is kept in check and overall I would say it is quite well executed.
I dislike the seats, more on that below.

Regarding the engine and transmission:
You’ll want to read the section about the Impreza below to understand some of the comments I made here.
The manual mode on the transmission is no substitute for a real manual transmission.
The real problem with this car is it shares the same drivetrain as the Impreza but the CVT transmission absolutely destroys the experience and the lovely 2.0 L engine. Get a manual, just do it.

General Conclusion:
I need to test a XV Crosstrek with a manual transmission just so I can directly compare it to the Impreza.
I would only consider one if I wanted as close to a direct replacement for a first or second generation Forester rather than go with the new Forester.



2014 Impreza 2.0 L 5-speed manual

This car genuinely surprised me and in a very pleasant way.
The seats are terrible (at least for me). They angle down to the pedals. There is no adjustability to bring the front of the seat (underneath the knees) up, so you’re kind of sliding toward the pedals.
The car is nimble and quick.
It’s noisier than the Outback or Forester, engine, road, and wind wise.
It felt lighter and more alive than the 2009 WRX that I drove a few weeks ago.
Visibility was great.
The dash, while joining with its brethren in the tendency for larger dashes (keep in mind I normally drive a 1994 Honda Prelude) is well within check and not disruptive.

Regarding the engine and transmission:
The little 2.0 L is rev happy. It likes to go through its full range and delivers quite nicely. Unlike the 2.5 L in the Outback and Forester I think this engine does much better across the entire rev range.
The 5-speed transmission while older and arguably outdated is absolutely perfect with the engine. They are in perfect harmony and compliment each other very well. I kind of worry what will happen when they do eventually switch to a 6-speed and if anything would be lost.
On downshift and upshift it is great and responsive in any gear and engine braking works very well.

General Conclusion:
If this car had the seats of the Legacy I would be completely happy with it.
I like the lightness of the steering here more than I like the weightier steering of the WRX, it reminds me more of the steering of the STi.
It reminds me of an article I read on TopGear.com about how cheaper cars with less performance are more fun because you can drive them closer to their limits on a day to day compared to a sports car which is too capable to get anywhere near its limits on a daily basis. Being able to drive these cars closer to their limits makes it more fun and I feel like the Impreza is a great candidate for this.
The car was eager and rewarded you well for going through the rev range.
Most importantly this car put a big smile on my face.

Honestly, with nicer seats I would have considered this and be happy with it. As a daily driver I would be very happy with it and as a 5-door it is quite practical.
Subaru needs more cars like this in its line.



2014 BRZ 2.0 L 6-speed manual

So this is the car I have on order, but the dealer had one in stock and I was asked if I’d like to take it for a spin.
Simply every gear is responsive and wants to go. The engine is wonderful and the cornering cannot be beat unless you spend a LOT more money.
It is quick to remind you why you chose it instead of an Impreza (so long as you really don’t need the cargo / seating space).
It was the first time I had one on the highway, I was quite pleased.


Next post will be on my experience with dealerships and what I think you should look out for.
Also, feel free and ask any questions you have in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment