Search This Blog

Friday, September 27, 2013

Another Test Drive, Volkswagen

These recent test drives, of all the wagon vehicles come from looking for a new car for my parents. But, I figured I'd put my reflections and impressions up for anyone it may help.


2014 Jetta Sportswagen TDI, 2.0 L 6-speed

The seats up front were very comfortable. Faux-leather, heated, adjustable, and better than those in the Impreza. They did not have the side wing adjustment, like the seats in the Outback, Forester, and Legacy. I missed this as it eliminated some of the bucket seat feel.
Technology and standard equipment wise it was well appointed.
The car does not feel big, at the same time I would not describe it as nimble or peppy. It's comfortable but the handling is wholly unimpressive. Simply put I would not take a turn with any enthusiasm unless down in 2nd gear or so.
Driving a diesel would take some getting used to in terms of operational rev ranges and power delivery.
The clutch pedal is as soft or softer than those in most Subaru's, I do not like this as I like enough resistance to definitively know  when I am depressing the clutch or not.
Passing speed and the ability to find an "emergency out" on this worry me, it really was not quick to respond.

Regarding the engine and transmission:
Gears 1 - 5 work fine for city driving, I doubt you would hit 6th.
The dash board has a funny indicator about when it thinks you should up-shift and  down-shift.
Gear 6 worked great for highway cruising.
You need to use more throttle in conjunction with lifting off the clutch in1st gear than I'm used to in most petrol engine car.
There was very little engine braking unless using 2nd gear or 3rd gear from much higher speeds.


General Conclusion:
Efficient and goes well enough.
I was not a fan of the handling or the throttle response.
This is the first diesel car I've driven, so, I'm not sure what my expectations should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment