Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Auto Show Philadelphia 2015 (Manufacturer Displays)

Holly and I went to the Auto Show Philadelphia. There were some cars I would have liked to see that were missing. Most notably: Acura NSX and the new Ford GT. It also would have been nice if Audi had brought the new TT.
Being a bit of a heckler I asked the Honda reps where the petition was to bring the Civic Type R to the USA and asked the Subaru reps where the petition was to have manuals in the Legacy and Outback.

I will try to name everything, but no promises, especially on the older stuff.

Not all the photos are up to snuff, so apologies.

Lexus:

Lexus ES 350



Lexus RX 350





Lexus LS 460





Lexus CT 200h F Sport





Lexus IS 350 F Sport



Lexus RC 350 F Sport

I really rather like the gap on the day time running lights versus the actual headlights. The sculpting on these headlights is really pretty cool.
I do wonder though if the flatter surface harms air flow.
I also like the vent shape on the rear bumper on this car more than the one on the RC F, though it would be nice if it were a real vent and not just a plastic accent.

Lexus RC F








Toyota:

Toyota didn't bring anything fun like the FT-1 concept this year, it was all pretty boring. Therefore, I did not take many photos of Toyota's display vehicles. They did bring a nice TRD racing V8 though. It comes complete with a dry sump lubrication system.





Scion:

Also known as the brand Toyota markets all its fun cars in the US (even if most are built on the Corolla chasis).

Scion tC (modified)



Scion FR-S Release Series 1.0






Owning a Subaru BRZ myself, I think that  the rear bumper on the FR-S Release Series 1.0 may be the best one out there. I'm a big fan of the body color trim around the reverse lights and (non-functional) rear fog lamp.
Something Scion fixed that Subaru hasn't (and that is available in the Japanese market) is the knee rests on the center console up to the dash in this version are now padded and leather as opposed to hard plastic. This is a nice improvement for long road trips and would be nice if Subaru adopted this for the BRZ.


Infiniti:

Not much noteworthy with Infiniti. None of their cool concepts or potential flagship cars. Also, I took pictures of the Q60 mainly to note it is starting to look rather dated.

Infiniti Q60






Nissan:

Nissan had did not have a Maxima on display. According to the rep, the new Maxima will debut in New York in April and will carry a lot of the styling from the concept I saw in Detroit in 2014.
Otherwise, most of Nissan's cars were the usual crowd.

Nissan GT-R




Nissan 370 Z Coupe


This car look smaller in person when you're next to it than when it is on the road, which is kind of strange.  I did find the tilting steering wheel interesting in that the instrument cluster tilted with it which afforded quite a good view out the front windshield.


Acura:

Acura TLX World Challenge GTS car




Acura TLX (headlight)
I'm hoping LED headlights soon become a ready retrofit, some of the tech behind them, especially the systems with the cameras that keep high beams on all the time without blinding other drivers sound like they'd be great for night driving.

Acura RLX (headlight)





Honda:

Honda Civic

We sat in one just to see how the seating position was compared to our Honda Preludes. We didn't like it as much. Also, while I didn't take a picture of the dash you should look it up online. It's like someone told Xzibit that they liked to look at their dash, so he put a dash on their dash, so they could look at their dash while they look at their dash.
Of note: the Civic has a surprisingly useful glove box for a small Honda.

Honda Civic Si

Unfortunately Honda didn't bring the Civic Type R to Philly. On the bright side, when I asked the representatives where I could sign the petition to bring the Type R to the USA they were hopeful it would come and heard there were rumors it might be in the USA as a 2016 model. Could be a very good thing.

Honda CR-Z EX


I have a bit of a soft spot for the Honda CR-Z. Mainly it is a hybrid that comes with a manual transmission if you so desire. This is a real rarity in the hybrid car market and I like the option a lot. This car comes with a fantastically useless glove box and I love that.

Honda Verizon Indycar Series car





Mazda:

Mazda 3

I honestly think Mazda is doing a solid job of making their entire line of sedans look decent. They look better than most in their price range at least.

Mazda MX-5 Miata



I think the new Miata looks great. I wonder how much weight the hard top adds versus the soft top. I'm not wild about the taillights, but I do like the headlights with the black housings.

Mazda 6


Again, one of the better looking cars at its price point. I kind of feel Mazda does the curves a bit subtler and better than Infiniti does and looks much better for it.

Mazda Indy Lights car



Now if only Mazda would bring back a car that was in the RX-# segment. Granted it would probably need a new designation and number and I wouldn't expect it to be a rotary. But I think Mazda could use a good two door. They certainly had the know how in the past.


Subaru:

Subaru Impreza


They fixed the seats in this car, they no longer slope down and make you feel like you're sliding off. This is a nice improvement.

Subaru Legacy


If I needed a full size sedan I'd probably get one of these. Looks decent, all wheel drive, and I've enjoyed my test drives of these.
Now if only Subaru would put a manual transmission in it I'd buy one.

Subaru WRX



Subaru WRX STi



Still using the EJ25 (an EJ257). I am hoping at some point Subaru will switch to a FA20 derived engine for the WRX STi.

Subaru BRZ



Subaru Impreza GR (Global RallyCross car)






Mitsubishi:

Mitsubishi i-MiEV



It is nice that it is an electric vehicle. It is also good that it tries to maximize interior space. But it is ugly! Possibly the ugliest car at the auto show.

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution





Hyundai:

Hyundai Genesis Coupe




Hyundai Genesis (modified)



I have to admit this looks pretty nice for a full size sedan and might even be fun to drive.

Hyundai Equus




If imitation is the best form of flattery the Mercedez-Benz S series should feel very flattered by the Equus.


Kia:

Kia Optima Limited (SXL)


Kia K900 (modified)



This is pretty cool. The turbos are mounted as part of the exhaust system at the rear of the car. This moves weight to rear of the car and frees up engine bay space. It supposedly eliminates the need for an intercooler because of how much lower the air intake temperatures are in the rear and the fact that the compressed air still has to travel back through the pipes to the engine air intake. I do wonder about how efficient the boost delivery is, but still, it is a cool concept.


Cadillac:

Cadillac did not have any of the CTS  line present or seemingly any of the -V cars either. There were a few more ATS coupes and sedans that I did not photograph as well as the Escalade and the Crossover.
I thought it was a rather lackluster and unexciting showing on the part of Cadillac.

Cadillac ATS Coupe


Cadillac ELR Coupe



The Cadillac ELR is in many ways the luxury coupe version of the Chevrolet Volt.


Buick:

Buick by far had to be the funniest marquis at the show. They had a bunch of generic GM SUVs made to look a little nicer. They had a 2016 model that would compete great against cars that have been off the market for 6-8 years. And it has a concept I doubt will ever see the light of day. It kind of makes me wonder why money is even wasted on Buick in terms of R&D instead of just making Cadillac better.

Buick Cascada



This reminds me heavily of the Chrysler Sebring Convertible ('95-'10) and the Toyota Camry Solara Convertible '99-'08) of yore. Granted it does have better headlights and wheels and looks better than either did back then. But to me it strikes me as winning a battle that is over. Considering that it has a Buick name plate I would hope it would compete with a contemporary two door convertible offered by say BMW or Audi rather than taking a swing at older models and missing any modern mark.
But I guess if someone really does want a brand new Chrysler Sebring Convertible or Toyota Camry Solara than Buick has built just the car for you!

Buick Avenir



Looks interesting, but would Buick actually make it?


GMC:
No photos taken because it's a bunch of Chevy trucks and SUVs with different name plates and trim packages that seem available from Chevrolet anyways. GMC kind of confuses me.


Chevrolet:

Chevrolet Corvette Stingray


The seating position is pretty nice and comfortable though I don't like how much the headliner is in view, I think I'd like more windshield real estate. Also, it would be nice to get in one with the hood closed and get a look down the bonnet. There is a very nice driver centric cockpit and the heads up display is a wonderful thing.

Chevrolet Corvette Z06







The performance figures on this car are fantastic. It is the best looking of the modern Corvettes, granted I think that is because it is highly derivative of Ferrari. Also, there are so many of these pictures cause my friend Aaron is a huge Corvette fan.

Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

The Camaro if you want to go very fast in a straight line. It is a lovely LS engine. I did not like the cockpit at all though.

Chevrolet Camaro Z/28



The Camaro if you want to go very fast around a track but for some reason didn't want a Corvette's body but wanted all its other parts.

Chevrolet Spark


Can anyone explain these headlights to me? I think they're ugly and provide fantastic pockets for building up additional wind resistance. I don't get why they don't have a plastic or glass housing around them. If someone knows and can explain it, please fill me in! (It has been bugging me for a few years now...) (The Spark is only pictured because I find the headlights hideous and don't understand them.)


Ford:

Ford Focus ST

Better yet we should have a Ford Focus RS in the states soon, maybe? All wheel drive and the inline 4 from the Mustang EcoBoost. It could be very cool. On the down side, the seating position in the Focus and Fiesta is too high and lifts the front of your legs up even higher. This would be acceptable if your butt was closer to the floor but it's kind of like driving a minivan with sport seats mounted on those high seat mounts.

Ford Fiesta ST


Ford Mustang





I like the looks of the new Mustang. I think the curves make this the best looking iteration of the new era Mustangs. I'm aware that most people rather have a Mustang with a V8 under the hood, but I'm a big fan of that new inline four. Two issues though. One, you sit very far back from the dash and the interior seems rather cavernous for no good reason.  And two, the bonnet (hood) has these two big creases in it that just ruin the view down the hood and make it awkward.

Ford 2.3 L EcoBoost turbocharged with direct injected inline 4




Why does this engine get so much love from me? If you read the reviews on the new Mustang this engine lightens the front end a lot and allows this car to really handle while still giving decent grunt. This make the Mustang more appealing than it ever has been in my eyes.


Tesla:

Tesla Model S


Because I'd be remiss if I didn't snap a shot of it. They didn't bring a sawed off car or chasis to show the internals and they didn't bring the SUV, so, I really didn't pay them much attention this year.


Ferrari:

So, why is Ferrari following Tesla? I mean, so far I've been consistent and had the automakers grouped based upon country of origin and luxury company followed by the more day to day cars. Well, since Chrysler was bought by Fiat and Ferrari is the top Marquis in the group, I figured they go here.

Ferrari FF



Ferrari 458 Italia



Ferrari California T



Ferrari Clifornia T (right), Ferrari 458 Italia (center), Ferrari FF (left)

Group tail shot necessitated by paddock.


Maserati:

Maserati Ghibli




Maserati GranCabrio



Maserati GranTurismo




Chrysler:

Chrysler 200 S



I think it looks pretty neutral and decent, not great, but decent and I applaud Chrysler for making at least one car I wouldn't feel bad driving.


Fiat:

Fiat 500c Cabrio


Holly asked me if I was aware that an automaker made something this ugly. I said yes and then took pictures.

Fiat 500L


So, in my opinion Fiat is supposed to be a cute and quirky city car and rather on the small side. This on the other hand is nothing short of massively bloated. Why Fiat, why?


Dodge:

Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat




Because 707 HP at under $60,000 is nuts and is picture worthy. I wonder how many people are going to crash these because the driver makes a mistake with all that power.


McLaren: (Automotive)

McLaren 650 S



McLaren 12C Spider



McLaren chasis

This shows the carbon tub shared by the McLaren cars quite nicely.


Aston Martin:

They didn't officially have a display but were roped off in a luxury car paddock.

Aston Martin Rapide S



I think this looks so much better than the Porsche Panamera.

Aston Martin Vantage


Aston Martin Vanquish













Jaguar:

Jaguar XJ


Jaguar XF


Jaguar F-Type Convertible


Soon it will come with a manual transmission! Yay!

Jaguar F-Type Coupe

Wonderful cockpit and seating position. I'd like to take one for a spin at some point. Of all the Jags I've driven (everything except the F-Type Coupe, the new SUV, and the XE) the F-Type Convertible was marvelous and I imagine the Coupe might be even better.


Land Rover:

Land Rover Discovery Sport

Land Rover Range Rover Spor


The second of the seven seat SUVs I'd consider owning as a family hauler.


Volvo:

Volvo V60



Vovlo S60



Volvo XC90


It's a seven seater SUV that is relatively low to the ground, should be safe, may be able to be optioned with a manual (hopefully) and actually looks halfway decent. It is one of the two SUVs I'd consider if I need a seven seater family hauler.


Bentley:

Bentley was in the luxury / exotic car paddock as well which was a bit more difficult in terms of photo angles.

Bentley Mulsanne


Bentley Continental



Lamborghini:

Lamborghini Aventador



Lamborghini Huracan





Porsche:

Porsche 911 GT3




Porsche Boxster GTS



It would have been nice to see the Porsche Cayman GTS or GT4 but alas neither was at the show. The GT4 sounds quite appealing though.


Audi:

Audi RS 5



Audi R8




Volkswagen:
Volkswagen Golf GTI



I'm actually rather annoyed by the Golf GTI. The one they had at the show was priced at over $31,000 and didn't even have projection headlights. There was one for nearly $33,000 that came with LED headlights though.


BMW:

BMW M235i



BMW i3



I really like how thin the seats are in this car and how much it adds to the space. I probably should have sat in them to check their comfort though.

BMW S 1000 RR








































One for the motorcycle fans. BMW brought a nice one to the auto show.

BMW i8






This car is gorgeous and a hybrid and I hope it is very successful. The reviews of this car are fantastic and I'd love to drive one some day.


Mini Cooper:

Mini Cooper Cooper S Coupe

This is a very much so not so mini Mini, it's kind of huge and bloated and in coupe version it is pretty fantastically ugly.


Mercedes-Benz:

Mercedes-Benz S550 Coupe



Mercedes-Benz SL550



Mercedes-Benz SLK250



Mercedes-AMG GT S




No comments:

Post a Comment