Search This Blog

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Ceras Victoria (Honda Prelude), Car Alarm Removal

Ceras Victoria had an aftermarket Clifford fancy alarm installed in her just after I bought her. I wanted a good car alarm.

The problem is as time has gone on I have not driven her much, especially being in law school and using public transportation every day.
I drive the car maybe once a week, more likely once a month. This means I use fuel stabilizer in the tank a lot and that the internal battery on the car alarm goes dead.
I disconnect the battery when I park it because there is an electrical drain (possibly was the alarm) so that I can start it when I need to.
The disconnecting of the battery meant that every time I reconnected the battery the car alarm treated it as a break in. This means that it goes in super shut down ignition kill mode which is just a pain in the ass. So, when it did this while I was visiting family in New Jersey with my girl friend (was supposed to be a short visit, turned out much longer) I decided the alarm had to go.

Luckily I had my camera with me.

Seat removed to make it easier to access the dash.



Under the dash with the main cover and air duct removed.
























Lots of alarm wires found, sorting out the mess.
























Some wires were cut, others just stripped. We had to sort it all out and figure out what needed reconnecting and taping.




















Girlfriend under dash. She actually enjoys this stuff! (Probably makes her a keeper.) Also, my favorite pair of work gloves.
























Wires all put back together.






































Air duct back in place.





































Cover back in place.
























Seat back in the correct place.
























Everything back together, even the floor mats.
























Components removed or now unnecessary.
























Between trying to figure out was wrong, trying to find documentation for what was wrong / how to remove an alarm (which did not really exist online much for this model), trying to figure out which wires go where and all that, and then figuring out the battery (non-)issue, this all took around eight hours.

In the end it worked. Car starts much better now and no more electrical issues. Well, mostly no more electrical issues. So getting rid of this was a good thing.

Girlfriend and I learned a lot about removing car alarms. We imagine it would go much faster next time. We lack confidence in being able to boost a car in any reasonable amount of time though.

Also, removing the driver's seat helps a LOT.

No comments:

Post a Comment