Search This Blog

Friday, May 29, 2020

Nausicaa - Project Update (Radiator) - Images from P&L Motorsports (5th Set)

In my last two posts I have been venting some frustration (see here and here). My frustration really stems from breakdowns in communication. P&L Motorsports did get back to me regarding the radiator, though left some of my questions unanswered (it just took an email, phone call, and second email and ~36-48 hours) to get a response.
At one point I am planning to write a longer post just about the various vendor experiences I have had throughout this project.
We will start with a few of the following:
A) I ordered this Mishimoto radiator before I knew which intake manifold we would be using. This is on me, so incompatibility was potentially there.
B) The new Koyorad Racing radiator was ordered, and unfortunately I was not consulted on this.

For any part going into this car, not usually the OEM stuff, but all of the aftermarket and performance parts, I do hours of research on which part and company to use. The pros and cons of one item over another. I look into various people's experiences with the parts or the company.
Granted fitment and occasional part reordering may be necessary. A K24 into a Honda Prelude is not a common swap and therefore information on how people have done this before me can be rather sparse at times.

With the RBC intake manifold the Mishimoto radiator has the following fitment issues:
First, there is less than an inch of clearance between the intake manifold and radiator outlet (red circle above) and the shroud mount (red X above). This is before the fan and shroud are installed.
Second there is an issue with the inlet and the alignment (red circles below).

In addition to this information I found out that an oil sandwich plate I was told to order for the project to continue will not be used because, despite being given the part number, it apparently does not fit and an oil filter relocation kit was used. (Unfortunately I do not know the make or model yet, and obviously did not get to do any of my customary research on this.)
Returning to the communication issue, while I got some answers, I did not get all of the ones I was looking for and still have more that were raised by the latest update.
For example, with the current update here is what is left outstanding:
=== Quote from my Response Email ===
1) Model number of the Koyorad Racing radiator? Does the new radiator need a surge tank?
2) What impact do we expect this radiator on cooling / thermal capacity?  To the best of my knowledge these radiators are typically used on Civic and cars that have at least ~700-1000 lbs. less weight than our car. Keep in mind, our end goal on this car, though not immediately, is a ~300 FWHP NA K series engine.
3) What is the make and model number of the fan and shroud being used?
4) What is the make and model number of the oil filter relocation kit being used?
5) When you are saying that the oil sandwich plate is not being used does that mean that the Mishimoto Thermostatic Gold Sandwich Plate (Part no.: MMOP-SPT) you had us order is not being used? What is being done with this part?
6) What is the make and model number of the FUELAB part being used? (Looks like an in-line fuel filter.)
7) Are there any other parts we should be aware of? If yes, can we get the make and model number for those as well?
=== End Quote from Response Email ===

I do not know how many more posts of this nature I will share, or updates on this email thread. But I hope this provides insights into what goes into a project of this nature.
And, I hope to emphasize the importance of good communication. Better communication would ease some of the anxiety and concerns that my spouse and I have through this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment