Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2016

Cagalli Yula (Subaru BRZ), ProClip Angled Mount & Adjustable Holder Install and Review

Waze is a wonderful application for navigation, knowing where traffic, accidents, and knowing where cops are. My wife and I use it a lot on road trips. But, being cell phone based it is negligent to use when it is not mounted somewhere that allows you to keep your eyes on the road. To this end I installed a cell phone holder.
In terms of places to put a phone the (more or less) stock interior of a BRZ does not have a lot of good places to put a phone and see the screen while looking out the windshield.

I use a Samsung Ativ S Neo as my phone (getting old, I know) and having scoured the internet for good phone holding solutions I came across ProClip on some of the BRZ / FR-S / GT86 forums.
For my application I bought the ProClip Samsung Ativ S Adjustable Holder for Small to Medium Cases and the ProClip Subaru BRZ 2012-2017 ProClip Angled Mount for my car.
Normally, according to install directions, you probably would not need to pry the dash panel from the dashboard. But since I have JPM Coachworks Dash Panel  I needed to pry it in order to fit the bottom of the clip in, again using the 5 Piece Trim and Molding Tool Set which is good for interior work.
The only tools I need we the trim and molding tool and a Phillips head screw driver.
The instructions say to swab down the vent trim with the provided alcohol wipe.
The clip has a bottom retainer that fits under the dash and a top retainer that clips over the passenger side center vent and has an adhesive.
The angled mount is now in place and has screw holes pre-drilled for the phone holder.
My phone holder is adjustable in width via two screws. This must be done in order to old the phone. I may not have read the directions at first and was rather confused as to how my phone was meant to fit into such a narrow holder.
The mount for the phone holder has pre-drilled holes for screwing into the clip and a ball joint that allows for angle adjustment of the phone holder.
Mount the phone holder base to the clip.
Make sure to keep the screw hole for the phone holder it pointed outward.
Then screw the phone holder back into the ball joint (I had to unscrew them from each other earlier).
And done, now I have  the phone pointing toward me right next to the infotainment / navigation unit and in no way interrupting my view out the windshield.
In terms of ownership and usage it works very well for the intended purpose.
When adjusting angle of the phone holder I suggest holding the clip itself as well so as to avoid the clip popping out (not that re-installation is difficult).
Aesthetically I do not like that it blocks view of the dash panel but I could remove it if I really wanted to, and I much prefer this to a suction cup mount or anything that interferes with my view out the windshield.
All in all I would give the product a 9/10 and would suggest it to other BRZ owners in need of a phone holder. My wife also got one from the same company for her 1994 Honda Prelude.

No comments:

Post a Comment