Search This Blog

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Cagalli Yula (Subaru BRZ), JPM Coachworks Dash Panel Install

The Subaru BRZ is not exactly a very expensive car. Like most cars in its price range it comes with a fair amount of plastic as material in panels and so on. Personally I am not a big fan of the silver plastic in a lot of the places it is used especially on the two piece dash panel with the seam.

To alleviate / correct this I got a One Piece Dash Panel from JPM Coachworks (same company that made my knee pads).

The unboxed one piece dash panel looks like so from the front:

For tools all I had was two of the thinner pieces out of my 5 Piece Trim and Molding Tool Set.
It looks like they really epoxied the two pieces together.
And looks like this from the back:

The really observant of you might notice it is missing a white plastic clip on the top left, and had I noticed I probably would have taken one from the old panel. But since it fits correctly and is not coming out of that corner I will leave it be unless an issue arises further down the road.

Basically you gently wedge the trim / molding removal tool under the dash panel, twist or pry, pop the tabs holding it in and work your way along the molding piece.

The trim / molding removal tools are nice because they are non-marring and designed to be used for interior auto work without scratching or damaging the plastics.

They would have made life easier when doing the knee pad install.
The panel comes out quickly and easily.

Line up the new one piece dash panel, press it in making sure all the tabs line up.
I then gave it a few taps with the fist and it lined up everywhere flush.

The old pieces are out. Showing both the front and back, and how I noticed the missing white tab part after the fact.

The old pieces get stored. Maybe one day I might restore the car to stock if we go to sell it and we might have a newer BRZ, so, who knows. For now we will keep the old parts.

The color looks a lot better with the sunshade in.
Driving was interesting as I am not missing a large chunk of silver in my peripheral vision and now have this Alcantara mass instead.
I do like how it looks and I think it fits better with the overall interior of the car. I also like how it looks over the newer fake carbon fiber panels that have been coming from factory.

I decided to also have my wife record this install to see how recording video of car work goes. It is a one take with no editing.

(It will be so nice when we have a garage again and can start doing real maintenance work and start working on Nausica again.)

As always comments and questions are welcome below.

No comments:

Post a Comment