Search This Blog

Thursday, February 20, 2014

Cagalli Yula (Subaru BRZ) meets Canadian National Railroad Truck (Part 1)

So, my car doesn't even have 1,400 miles on it yet but this is what happened today:

I got off the highway as I normally do, and today there was a Canadian National Railroad (CNRR) Truck there at the intersection of Chrysler Drive and Larned.
As you can see from the following image it goes: left turn lane, straight through lane, second straight through lane, right turn lane at this intersection.
As usual I stopped at the red light. Now, when I came up the exit ramp and decided to pull along side the CNRR truck it did not have a right turn blinker on, so, I figured (as is usual at this intersection) if someone is in the left straight through lane they plan to get onto Jefferson Ave heading East. I was apparently mistaken in this assumption.

First image shows where the two vehicles were at the red light after exiting I-375 (yes I made a diagram using Google Maps and paint).



Second image is just a reference image showing direction of travel for the roads at this interchange and where the accident occurred.

Third and fourth images are of the CNRR truck that hit me. It was huge. Luckily no damage to me, just the car. Driver initially said: "I'm sorry, I checked the mirror and didn't see you." Later he changed it to: "I checked the mirrors, both top and bottom three times and didn't see you." The man in the passenger seat never said anything (though he would have been the most likely to see me, out his window).

After collision we pulled into the Speedway gas station on Chrysler Dr. between E Larned St. and E Jefferson Ave. I called the police, then my insurance. Cop came eventually, grabbed our insurance info, and licenses. I asked him if he needed my statement, he said no, it's straight forward that the truck came into you. I also took pictures of my car and the beast (fair term considering its size) that hit me. Also, it should be noted that while there was lots of snow after the accident and that it was sticking, prior to the accident (which occurred between 11:10 and 11:15 AM) it started snowing much more heavily before and now sticking to the ground instead of just melting on contact. I'd be hard pressed to say weather was a factor.

The rest of the images are of the damage.

Images taken at Speedway:

Images taken at my office's parking garage:




Well, now I get to figure out how well Geico treats me as I have a claim in with them.
I really was hoping not to have an insurance claim review or anything on here, but I suppose this is part of owning a vehicle.

Hopefully it goes well with the insurance. Assuming the damaged part on the front fender is replaceable then all I should need is a driver side door and a rear quarter panel. Considering the car is brand spanking new I'm hoping I'll be able to get replacement parts (none of this pulling or reshaping) and have the car repaired to new.

But yeah... here's to owning a new car for 5 weeks, having just made the first loan payment on Saturday, and being hit by a giant truck on Thursday.

Also these pictures are lower quality than usual, but I'll have better pictures when it isn't raining / snowing and when I'm using my proper camera instead of the one on my phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment