Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Jaguar Alive Driving Experience, October 2012

Somehow I was on an invitation list for this event: Jaguar Alive Driving Experience

The first part of the event included a show room and food and some cars to look at.
This is the new Jaguar F-Type.
I think this was the S model. On the inside it felt more like a concept model and mock up than a fully built car. I wish I had been able to drive it.


A Jaguar XKE convertible.
One of the most beautiful cars ever. I'm also pretty sure that this is one with an inline six cylinder based on the front grill, but I'm not an expert.



































Again, the Jaguar XKE convertible. Gorgeous!!!
Too bad they had a "do not touch" sign.


Jaguar XKE convertible yet again.
The Jaguar XKR in the background. That I got to drive.

So, after the show room I got to take a XJ for a spin. Absolutely huge but also wonderful inside. Had quite a bit of pick up. Technically you apparently were not supposed to turn off the traction control (I found out after the fact). Driving around in the sport setting with traction control off and using the paddle shifters (manual mode on the eight speed auto gearbox) was a lot of fun. Also, pretty easy to kick the rear loose on a turn.

Second event was a weathered driving test. Driving an XF with AWD both with and without traction control on to see how it reacted to the use of full throttle on slippery surfaces. Needless to say it did much better with traction control on. Personally I did fine with the traction control off as I've never driven with driving aids and spent much time practicing or dealing with ice in Chicago and elsewhere. But still I guess it's nice if you do not want to have to react on your own and let the car do it for you.

I regret not driving the XFR though. That one looked like it would have been fun.

Third event was doing a zero to sixty (or really as fast as you could get it) run down a straight in a XKR. I used the paddles again. Enjoyed it. But what I really disliked was the complete lack of feel through the pedals or the steering wheel. The XKR felt more dead to the world than the XJ or XF and it is supposed to be the high end sports model. For slowing back down at the turn around I dumped the gears and used engine braking which elicited a compliment from the instructor.

Fourth event was a slow cruise in whatever cars you wanted. My friend and I chose the XK convertible. It was very comfortable, the interior quite nice, and the suspension handled things fine.

Fifth event was an auto cross in the XKR. Instructor in car, three runs, only the third was timed. First run I did it right foot braking. Second run I did it left foot. Third run I did left foot braking as well. Ultimately I was beat by my friend.
Here's the thing, first I wish all runs had been timed to see if I improved or slowed or was consistent. Second, I would have liked more tries just because I wanted to experiment more with the left foot breaking and sliding the tail some / trying to drift some of the turns. I do not get to drive rear wheel drive all that often and it would have been fun to fiddle around more with later braking and more weight shifting. Lastly, the instructor made me nervous. Also conflict between listening to instructor and "instinct." Part of me wonders if I'd have done better on my own?

All in all it was fun.
As for the car... I'd genuinely like at least the option of more feel. It felt way too dettached most of the time.

(Granted, this post is not about car work I've done, but it is car related, so, it works, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment