Search This Blog

Sunday, August 27, 2017

GrimmSpeed Front License Plate Relocation Kit

Now that I live in a state that requires both front and rear license plates (a first for my Subaru BRZ) I needed a way to mount the front license plate.

The problem for me is that Subaru's solution is to drill holes into the bumper.


Rather than drilling holes in my bumper I decided it would be a better idea to use a license plate relocation kit that uses the tow hook connection point.
I wound up with the GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocation Kit - Scion (I think, more on this later).

In order to install I needed the following tools: two different metric hex wrenches (not sure on size), 17 mm socket drive (I just used my lug wrench), and I strongly recommend white lithium grease.

In order to install such a relocation kit on a Subaru BRZ the first step is to pop off the plastic tow hook mount cover in the bumper.
Use a liberal amount of white lithium grease on the threads of the license plate relocation kit shaft. This should prevent future seizing should you need to remove the kit at some point.

Start the threads on the shaft for the license plate relocation kit. I always suggest starting the thread in reverse by finger feel first.

The lug wrench was perfect for this, plenty of clearance above the garage floor to rotate and allow for quick screwing in of the shaft.

I was surprised by just how many turns it took to bottom out the shaft.

The GrimmSpeed kit uses a curved mounting bracket that allows many variations in plate angle positioning. I suggest threading this fully and having it slightly tightened at this point but not fully tightened.

Now mount and choose the position you want the license plate to end up in.

I tried my best to get the bracket to be parallel to the ground and to make sure the bottom was not obstructing the grill for the radiator.

Another important thing to check is that you are comfortable with the gap between the license plate mounting plate and your bumper.

Once happy with the position you can use a hex wrench through the license plate bracket in order to finish tightening the curved bracket to the shaft. (My car's poor rock chips...)

If you look from the correct angle you can see this awkward gap left by the lack of the plastic tow hook mount cover. Some people have solved this by drilling a hole that allows the shaft to pass through thereby leaving almost no gap and a clean black OEM look.

The kit comes with two sets of hex screws for mounting the front plate. The short ones are if you are just using the plate. A longer set are included if you are using a a license plate surround.
As shown there are no issue with airflow restriction, the headlights, or rubbing against the bumper (plastic sections or painted sections).

Earlier I mentioned that I would discuss the Relocation Kit more.
Originally when I order my relocation kit I ordered the License Plate Relocation Kit - 2013-17 Subaru BRZ/ScionFR-S, 2010+ Legacy/Outback, 2017+ Impreza (non-turbo) which rubbed against the plastic part of my bumper and is responsible for the scratch you can see in the images above even when using both of the included spacers.
I sent an email to GrimmSpeed informing them of the rubbing issue and they sent me a longer shaft which I believe is from the License Plate Relocation Kit - Scion and this gave much more clearance as you can see above.
While I did not end up with holes in my bumper I did end up with a scratch in the plastic part. So I am not thrilled.

Also, it should be noted that I think it is very silly that Subaru requires drilling of the bumper. My 1994 Honda Prelude which had a mount built into the bumper and used a tighten friction clip to keep the bracket secure to the bumper. Seen here.

As always, questions and comments welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment