Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Another (Extended) Test Drive, Volkswagen Jetta

Due to the car damage I'm had a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 SE since Monday the 17th.

Here are my thoughts so far:

2013 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 SE 6-speed automatic

Interior is okay, nothing fancy, it has leather or fake leather, I don't really care to look it up.
The seating position is okay, I'm not terribly unhappy about, not thrilled by it, I much prefer seats that hug more than these do. I am certainly missing proper bucket seats.
I'm also not having the best of luck finding a comfortable seat / steering wheel position, but it's okay for commuting.
The suspension feel is muted, it's very much a car you turn the wheel so that it changes direction which you feel a lot less than see. I would say in this car you "observe" rather than "feel" as sensory input is rather minimal.
In fact I'd say it is so disengaged from the driver that I honestly would prefer that it drive itself. I feel like a passenger along for the ride rather than driving it. So a computer to act as chauffeur would really complete and compliment the experience.


Regarding the engine and transmission:
In D it can barely get out of its own way unless you floor it, and even that the response is lackluster. Rather abysmal considering 2.5 L, 170 HP, and 177 lb-ft. It up shifts from  1st to 2nd within 20 feet of departing a full stop at a light / stop sign.
In S it can get out of its own way, though I'm not sure how well it would get out of the way of anything else unless you floor it. In other words S provides a bit better throttle response but provides relatively little reward and a bit more noise.
My suggestion is to drive in D most of the time and shift to S whenever you need to pass or want want to get out of the way of merging traffic.
S would be better if it was more intelligent and shift up to an overdrive gear when you're cruising rather than pointlessly revving in a lower gear as it currently does, which just burns fuel for no reason.

General Conclusion:
Brakes are pretty darn solid and work well, in fact due to the lackluster engine and transmission the brakes are a much better way to deal with merging traffic than the 5 cylinders under the bonnet.
If the Jetta is the future I much rather it drive itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment