Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

More Test Drives of the Subaru Product Line

While I was at the dealership to get Cagalli Yula's auto-dimming mirror installed I test drove a 2013 Subaru WRX STi.

First, about the mirror, it's nice, and useful. Mainly I got it because I liked the mirror's on my great aunt's Audi A4 (the rear-view and side-view mirrors were all auto dimming). The thing I like most about this is unlike the normal mirrors you do not lose everything except headlights from your view.



2013 Subaru WRX STi:
So, this handled well but I felt like it was lacking in feedback compared to the 2006 Subaru WRX STi I drove before.
It's bigger than the older STi, and looks and feels (even when you sit in the back seats) that this would be a comfortable place for four adults.
One thing I really liked about it was the clutch pedal had a lot more feel and was not as soft as other Subarus, you can actually ease off the clutch and get the car rolling like a normal manual car. In my experience Subarus have some of the softest clutches around.
The steering was lighter and had less feedback than I recall in the 2006 WRX STi or the 2009 WRX STi I drove previously. It also seemed a lot lighter and less responsive than my BRZ.  Then again this could all be because the BRZ was very new, very stiff, and maybe this ruined it for me? I'm not sure.
Even with all the added power, the AWD, and the special suspension it drives like an enthusiastic sedan and not like a sports car.
I think it would make for a fantastic enthusiast's daily driver, but I'm not sure about its use as a track day car.
If you want the rawer and more visceral experience I would look into an older Imprezza WRX STi. The newer one really felt rather soft.


I am looking forward to when my favorite dealership has a 2015 WRX or 2015 WRX STi in stock so I can try that. I'm hoping it comes with a bit more feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment