Search This Blog

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Test drive of a Scion FR-S



As previously stated, I've been contemplating a Scion FR-S, okay, more so a Subaru BRZ, as my next car. That may have changed, at least in terms of the preference between the two. I test-drove a Scion FR-S today. The person who I have been in contact with at the dealership, turns out his son is at law school at Kent. Kind of cool!

Keep in mind, I tested on normal streets, no extreme turns, or acceleration was taken.

First thing, it feels small in there. Compared to my Preludes it feels like the dash is taller and the windshield is shorter. Also, the bucket seats in the FR-S have the shoulder wings, something the Prelude lacks. At the same time there is not the curved wrap-around feeling of the 4th generation Prelude dash. Oddly enough, I think with driving positions about the same in terms of the pedals, the dash is closer on the FR-S, yet feels more remote. The steering wheel is substantial in terms of thickness, I could go either way there, but it is small.

The door on the FR-S feels closer to your left side than in my current car. Again, not bad, but a difference. The controls are all easy to reach and intuitive. The media center is on the same plane as the instrument cluster, a first for me. I would not suggest the car for people who are claustrophobic, it is a bit of a cocoon. It is interesting to note that I never got this feeling sitting in the Subaru BRZ or Scion FR-S on a showroom floor or at the Chicago Auto Show.

The gearbox is close ratio. First gear is very short. Reverse is not intuitive, but easy enough when you open the owner’s manual (lift rings, slide all the way left and up). It’s pretty easy to go up through gears, when going back down, it prefers going one at a time.

The pedals seem fine for heel and toe. My biggest complaint about the whole car is in the wheel well though. The clutch pedal has NO feel. I mean, I have regularly driven a Subaru Outback and Forester, and the Outback is pretty lacking in feel as well. However, the FR-S is silk smooth with zero resistance. Personally, I like some clutch pedal resistance, and I hope this is adjustable.

The pickup is fine for daily driving. I managed to break the speed limit quickly enough…

The noise and the way it revs are distinctly Subaru boxer engine.

Honestly, aside from getting used to the gearbox and how the interior changes your peripheral vision, I see very little difference in driving it and my Prelude as a daily, which is good, because that’s what it would replace.

As for Scion FR-S vs. Subaru BRZ, it’s going to probably come down to features, options, and availability at time of purchase. I’m not sure how much I favor the BRZ over the FR-S anymore. Why you might ask (or not ask...)? Because, I'm not sure that there really is a difference aside from badge and limited availability on the BRZ. And is it worth the hassle?

No comments:

Post a Comment