Search This Blog

Thursday, February 4, 2016

Camera Hardware: Circular Polarizing Filter

I recently purchased a  77mm Kaesemann XS-ProCircular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter from B&H.
One of the things a Circular Polarizer Filter (CPF) does for you is it gives a filter with adjustable polarization via rotation. This means you can eliminate a lot of glare and reflections off a surface you are photographing.
This is supposed to help a lot with photographing water, the sky, and more pertinent to this blog, automobiles.
So I decided to test the filter today in the run up to my going to the Auto Show Philadelphia 2016.
I would say the results clearly show it is functional.

There will be a more in depth post on the car I photographed later, and a story as to why I have the rental.
This first photo is with little to no polarization:


The second photo is with about maximum polarization:

Notice how there is less glare on the hood and windshield.
The third photo is with little to no polarization:
The fourth photo is near maximum polarization:

Again there is less glare on the windshield, hood, and headlights as compared to the next photo.
This last photo is with my Calumet Traditional UV 77mm filter (which may not be available anymore).

The result to me, given that this photo was taken around 2 hours earlier and therefore there was more light, appears to be between the no polarization and heavy polarization shots. The windshield and headlamp are not quite as full of glare but do have more than the heavily polarized shot.

Here is a picture of the two filters side by side on a white-ish envelope:

As can be seen the old Calumet filter (on the left) is much clearer and has higher rate of transmission than the new CPF (on the right).
My experience has thus far been that I need to reduce my shutter speed between 1and 3 stops for using the CPF. And another 2-3 when using to its fullest extent.
This may not bode well for photographing auto shows considering that auto shows often have pretty terrible lighting conditions.
Auto Show Philadelphia 2016 will be a real testing ground. I did acquire a Sirui P-326 Carbon Fiber Monopod before going to Israel. This should help to allow me to take slower speed shots while not worrying about camera shake. But if this doesn't work I may need to rectify the mistake for indoor shooting and acquire a CPF with a higher rate of transmission, such as B+W 77mm XS-Pro Kaesemann High Transmission Circular Polarizer MRC-Nano Filter, which is perhaps what I should have done from the start.

In summary, I will see if buying this particular CPF was a mistake or not (I'm hoping not). But so far I am generally satisfied with how the CPF works to reduce glare.

No comments:

Post a Comment