Search This Blog

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Extended Test Drive, 2014 Chevy Cruze

Holly here. I had a Chevy Cruze for three days over the course of a business trip.


The car was ok. It was comfortable, bigger than I usually like*, but otherwise we got along fine after an initial misunderstanding of what was expected of it when I walked up to the door with the keyless fob and the doors didn't unlock. This was soon sorted out by a quick reprimand via the options menu. It braked well, accelerated smoothly. The backup cam was a nice feature, especially since I'm used to much more visibility. We bonded over hailstones not quite the size of golf balls. Then I tried to accelerate merging into traffic on a freeway.

If you try to accelerate gently, the Cruze can handle it. If you try to accelerate at a moderate pace, it equivocates for a little bit and then accelerates a bit. If you decide you need to accelerate harder because you're merging into traffic and there's trucks and everything, you press the accelerator. The car decides you must have made a mistake and goes limp on you, causing you much more anxiety than is necessary for something your car back at home, from 1994 I might add, could handle without second thought.

 After that experience I put it in sport mode, which allowed it to accept input commands a bit better but not sufficiently to make it truly useful. I also tested its manual mode, which helped a bit more. It downshifted automatically which I found obnoxious, but could live with. At least it didn't upshift on me, so I was able to accelerate. Still obnoxious.

*Yes, I drive a Honda Prelude regularly. My sense of size may be skewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment